Monday, November 17, 2008

That Time of the Year

Well it is that time of year again, Thanksgiving. Today marks a day my wife and I really do have a lot to be thankful for. One year ago today, we found out that we were going to be parents! After almost five years of heartache and trying we were finally going to be parents! On July 18, 2008 we welcomed our son, Robert Deane Marshall, to the world. How great is our God! Not only does he demonstrate to us Christians His mercy by not giving to us what we deserve, hell and eternal damnation; He shows us his amazing grace by giving us that what we do not deserve!

We as Americans have a lot to be thankful for this time of year! All we have, no matter how small and insignificant, we have only because of God's Amazing Grace! When we examine what we deserve for our wickedness, we should tremble in thanksgiving to God for the breath that has just passed our lips! This goes for the Christian as well as the non-Christian. We are in an age of Grace. God has stayed is wrath, for a time.
"45...For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust." -- Matthew 5:45 (ESV)
This time of year always makes us think about what we are thankful for, which is good. But what are we thankful for? Are they superficial things? Are they just the positive things (i.e. pay raise)? I think us Christians should look a little deeper at what we are thankful for. And should this time of year be the only time that we think about these things?

"16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." -- 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (ESV)

Here in 1 Thessalonians, Paul tell us that we should be continually be rejoicing, praying and giving thanks. At church this week we were looking over this verse. I think we need to be thankful in all things good and bad. All that happens to us God is using for His purposes and Glory.

Starting today I am not going to "try," I am going to everyday give thanks to my Lord, my King, my Savior for all things. First and foremost, His shed blood on the Cross which was the propitiation for debt against God the Father! I want to thank Him for all the blessings in my life, the ones I know about and the ones that, in my sinfulness, I am unaware of. But I also want to thank Him for the process of sanctification, in which He molds and shapes me to be more like Christ.

I challenge you all, do the same. Let us remember who we serve and how great our God is!

-- The Wretch

2 comments:

Wretched Sinner said...

God is Great brother, you don't even know how timely this post is. I was just about to post on this exact topic but from just the opposite perspective! You are right on target too, it's easy to give God the Glory when things go our way...but what do we do (and what should we do) when things don't go as WE have planned? Stay tuned.

The Bateman Clan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Post a Comment

Cuss words (mild or abbrev.), blasphemy, or failure to give
the name "God" or "Jesus" capitals, will be deleted. I want to hear your comments, so please keep them clean.