Sunday, February 21, 2010

Prayers For a Co-Worker

Dylan is one of my co-workers at Pepsi.  He is one of the nicest guys I have worked with.  He his polite to customers and fellow workers, he does his job with little to no complaint, and, unlike most of my fellow workers, he has a clean mouth.  Dylan also within the last year got married and is now helping his wife raise her son.  On the surface he is a "good" guy.  When it comes to politics he and I differ on virtually everything, but I have to say I like Dylan a lot and we get along fairly well (at least according to my estimation).  Dylan is a trainee, so he rides along with other drivers to help them out until a route opens up for him.  He has rode along with me many times and, ashamedly, I almost always avoided religion.



About four or five months ago he was riding along with me and the subject matter somehow (had to have been God) turned to religion and I was able to present the Gospel to him.  He did not really react to it other than look and sound uncomfortable.  He seemed to agree with some point and disagree with others, but in the end he said that he grew up Catholic and he saw is "belief" in God as a personal thing.  I remember asking him what his wife's beliefs were and he said he did not know and had never asked.  He then quickly changed the subject to something else and I left it at that.

 Last month he was riding with me and we came across one of the "Jesus asked, 'Who do you say that I am?'" billboards and I asked him if he had seen them and how he would answer the question.  He promptly stated that he did not want to talk about "theological things" with me.  A few days later I asked him about it and he said he was just tired at the time and was not in the mood, so I left it at that.


On Wednesday morning driving into work I saw him ahead of me so I started to pray for him.  I asked that the Lord open his eyes to his sin and that God, if it was His will, would draw Dylan to Himself.  I also prayed that I would be bold in my witness to him and would change my fear of men to fear for men.  It turns out that Dylan was to ride along with me that day.  (Isn't it amazing how God answers our prayers and sets things in motion before we even pray?!)  Later that day, I told Dylan that I knew it made him uncomfortable when I talked about religious things.  I explained that I was not trying to intentionally make him uneasy or shove anything down his throat, but explained that is was out of concern.  I told him that if what I believe is true, why wouldn't I want to tell other people.  I told him that I liked him a lot and was concerned for him and that I waned him to know that has been and still is my motive.  He expressed that he was grateful, but I could tell he did not want to talk anymore about it, or so I thought.  So I said I that I would not bring up the subject anymore, but that if he had questions, wanted to go to Bible study, or wanted to go to church to let me know.
A few minutes after I said this he asked church was "so important."  So I took this as an open invitation to, while answering his question, to use my testimony to share the Gospel with him again.  In the end he said that he did not feel as though going to church was important, his beliefs were private and he did not want to share them with others.  Unfortunately, we arrived at our last stop and I was not able to continue the conversation.  The next day I gave him a "STOP, Who Do You Think I Am?" tract and asked him to read it when he had a chance.

I have decided to let things simmer with Dylan, I have presented the Gospel to him several times and have given him several tracts.  I do not know how long I will let it simmer with him, but I know that if God is working in his heart, Dylan will come to faith.  So at this point I ask you to pray that God brings Dylan to a saving faith in Him, that his eyes are opened to see his hear the way God sees it. Also I ask that you pray for me to as I struggle to fight my fears and boldly proclaim Christ to those around me.


"So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." (1 Cor 10:31)


--The Wretch

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Cuss words (mild or abbrev.), blasphemy, or failure to give
the name "God" or "Jesus" capitals, will be deleted. I want to hear your comments, so please keep them clean.