Sunday, February 14, 2010

"It is not good that the man should be alone..."

"... I will make him a helper fit for him." (Genesis 2:18)

Today marks seven years that Jenn and I have been married. Every year I appreciate more and more this verse from Genesis.  I sadly admit that that in the years before God saved me I had a very selfish view of our marriage.  But since then my love for my wife has been changing from a selfish "love" to what love really is, a self-sacrificing-life-long-dedication to the woman I made a pledge and covenant with on February 14, 2003.  I am still in the early stages of being and am imperfectly able to portray that kind of love to my wife, but, by God's Grace, she has abundantly patient with me!

Ephesians 5:25-33
Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish. In the same way m husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself.  For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church, because we are members of his body.  “Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.” This mystery is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church. However, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.

Jenn--
As is my charge from Scripture, you have my promise and solemn vow that I will exhibit this kind of love and devotion to you the best I can with the help of our Lord God.

Men--
I challenge you to love your wives in this way.  Paul reveals to us here that our marriages represent our (those who are saved) relationship to Christ!  Let us love our wives and show the world what true love is, self-sacrificing.



"Peace to all of you who are in Christ." (1 Peter 5:14 ESV)

--The Wretch

1 comments:

Molter Family said...

Amen! Good Post!

Hey Evangelism Friend,
I wanted to let you know you can follow my blogs...Thanks!

http://2believeministries.blogspot.com
http://gospelforchico.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Cuss words (mild or abbrev.), blasphemy, or failure to give
the name "God" or "Jesus" capitals, will be deleted. I want to hear your comments, so please keep them clean.