Saturday, February 20, 2010

How Often Am I Guilty ?



“You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain."

Exodus 20:7
blas·phe·my
/blas-fuh-mee/
–noun,plural-mies.
1. impious utterance or action concerning God or sacred things.
2. Judaism.
   a. an act of cursing or reviling God.
3. Theology. the crime of assuming to oneself the rights or qualities of God.
4. irreverent behavior toward anything held sacred, priceless, etc.



A recent post by Tony Miano at "The Lawman Chronicles" has caused me to be a bit introspective about how I may be guilty of blasphemy.  In the post Tony tells about a church sign with a message that was supposed to be funny that used Christ's death on the cross as a play on words.  It got me thinking, do I ever joke around about the things of God?  Of course I would never intentionally use the Lord's Name in vain, but do I always use His Name or other things related to Him with reverence?
.....


I have to say that I do not, I am guilty of not giving full reverence to my Lord and Savior.  After some pondering, I have determined to be more serious about the things of God.  I think it would be good for all Christians to look at their lives and see if they may have some room for improvement in this area.  I am not trying to be a wet blanket, I just think their are certain subjects that we just may need see differently.

Jesus Christ died a horrific death for our sins.  Jesus, sweating great drops of blood, did not take his impending death lightly.  The Apostles, of whom all but one died martyrs, did not take the things of God lightly.  Neither should we.

O Merciful Lord,


I confess all of my sins. Sins of this day, week, year, all the sins of my life, sins of early, middle, and advanced years, sins of omission and commission, of my angry tempers, of lip, life and walk, of hard‐heartedness, unbelief, presumption, pride, of unfaithfulness to the souls of men, of lack of bold decision in the cause of Christ, of deficiency in outspoken zeal for His glory, of bringing dishonor upon Your great name, of deception, injustice, untruthfulness, in my dealings with others and you of impurity in thought, word and deed, of covetousness, which is idolatry, of substance unduly hoarded, improvidently squandered, not consecrated to the glory of You, the Great Giver; sins in private and in the family, in study and recreation, in the busy activities of men, in the study of Your Word and in the neglect of it, in prayer irreverently offered and coldly withheld, in time misspent, in yielding to Satan’s wiles in opening my heart to his temptations, in being unwatchful when I know him near, in quenching the Holy Spirit; sins against light and knowledge, against conscience and restraints of Your
Spirit, against the law of eternal love.

O God Pardon all my sins, known and unknown, felt and unfelt, confessed and not confessed, remembered or forgotten. Merciful Lord, hear my cry; and hearing, have mercy on me.

(Confession of Sin, The Valley of Vision)




"So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." (1 Cor 10:31)

--The Wretch

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Cuss words (mild or abbrev.), blasphemy, or failure to give
the name "God" or "Jesus" capitals, will be deleted. I want to hear your comments, so please keep them clean.