Monday, March 2, 2009

Fishing Update: Tom Clancy is More Interesting Than The Gospel











I think I have found a fishing hole, the laundromat. While I am not the point I want to be, I am getting more bold and confidant about witnessing. On Sunday, I was washing my cloths reading the Word and my hermeneutics book (I am WAY behind,) and gentleman joined me at my table and saw that I was reading the Bible. He ask what I was reading and told him that I was in the Gospel of Luke. He asked what church i want to and told me that he was an Episcopal priest. I know the Episcopal church has strayed from orthodox Christianity, but I do know that there are a few rouge churches out there that are trying to bring their denomination back to Biblical Christianity. After we talked briefly we both went back to our books. While I was reading I saw a man I have seen several times at the laundromat, I prayed a quick prayer for this man's soul and then approached him.

Let's just say I was shot down pretty quick. I waled up and asked if he had received a Million Dollar Bill (I told him it was part of the stimulus package.) He gave me a chuckle, and I preceded to tell him it was a Gospel tract that asked the Million Dollar Question, if you were to die would you go to Heaven? He responded quickly with "If I am lucky," and he quickly handed back the tract. I said that he could keep it and he made it clear he did not want it. He then acted like I was not even there anymore and continued to stare blankly at the TV. I respected his nonverbal request and went back to the table.

When I sat down I asked the priest if he had see the tracts before. He said that he had not, and I tried to talk to what I was hoping was a fellow believer (I am not saying that he was not.) I tried telling him about the nice and concise message on the back and he handed it back to me and went right back to his book, End War by Tom Clancy.

I was a little disheartened, but I will not let this deter me. I know that not all conversations are going to go well, I may even get people who get really mad at me, but I is not me who converts the soul, it is God and His Spirit alone. I was obedient, and that is what God wants.

I ask that when you remember, please pray for my boldness and obedience. I want desperately to have a passion for spreading God's Good News!


3 comments:

Brother Slawson said...

Way to go!

Sam said...

You could always try the opening line... "I bet you a million bucks you are not good enough to get into heaven!" :)

Mate - keep going! Don't give up! I'm in the same boat too! Jesus told us that we would overcome... and this is just part of that overcoming!!! I heard Ray say one time (referring to Paul's writing in 1 Cor 2:3 "I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling.") - The requirement for sharing your faith is weakness, fear and much trembling! That makes us both uniquely qualified!

Wretched Sinner said...

Great story brother. Keep it up. Just think, a few months ago you didn't think you could even talk to someone, right? Now you're approaching folks...and it's all out of love! It's beautiful to watch, keep it up brother.

Sometimes I just whisper to myself, "It's not about you, it's not about you, it's not about you....it's about Him."

Post a Comment

Cuss words (mild or abbrev.), blasphemy, or failure to give
the name "God" or "Jesus" capitals, will be deleted. I want to hear your comments, so please keep them clean.