Friday, January 1, 2010

A Great Privilege

This morning as Jenn was taking down the Christmas stuff, I had Robby on my lap and we were watching a YouTube Video. The video was of "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross" with scenes from "The Passion." I had the a great privilege, I had the chance to explain what we were seeing and hearing to my son. Don't think that I have never talked about these kinds of things before with him; he is starting to get to an age where I can see that he is understanding and comprehending his little world.

As we sat there I explained the images of Jesus being beaten, being sure to explain that we were watching an actor and not really Jesus. I explained how he was nailed to the cross for our sins and how Jesus was the willing and perfect sacrifice for our sins. The video showed scenes from the Last Supper and I got to explain how Jesus instituted the New Covenant and we no longer had to make a sacrifice for our sins, we only need to come to him with a repentant heart and put our full faith and trust in his work on the cross.

As I was telling him these things, of which I don't know how much he was able to comprehend, tears came to my eyes as it hit me; I not only have the profound privilege to teach my children these truths, but the huge responsibility as well. It is a task that I will not take lightly (Matthew 18:6, Mark 9:42, Luke 17:2,) but will thank my God everyday for.

Below is another video that we watched, the quality is not very good, but the content of the song and the accompaniment (sorry if not the correct usage of this word) of the images is powerful.





2 comments:

Bob Marshall said...

Teaching, instructing, and training your children in the ways of the Lord, indeed, is a tremendous responsibility and joy (not to mention a few bruises and pains and sorrows intermixed). Just think... your children, influenced and prayed over by you and Jenn, might be used greatly by the Lord to affect the eternities of many in the future.

Bob Marshall said...

Yes, raising your children is truly a tremendous responsibility and joy, along with a good measure of humbling bruises, pain, and sorrow mixed in. Just think -- that your children, trained up in the ways of the Lord and prayed for often by Jenn and you, might be instruments used by God to affect the eternities of many in the future.

Post a Comment

Cuss words (mild or abbrev.), blasphemy, or failure to give
the name "God" or "Jesus" capitals, will be deleted. I want to hear your comments, so please keep them clean.